1. Consider the following statements:
- A braced cofferdam is used in shallow trench excavation as well as in deep excavation exceeding 6 m in depth.
- Cofferdams, braced or un-braced, are temporary structure either on land or in water bodies.
- When sheet piling is used for retaining soil, or soil and water, without any bracing, it is called a bulkhead.
Which of the above statements are correct?
- i and ii only
- i, ii and iii
- ii and iii only
- i and iii only
2. Which one of the following methods/techniques will be used for placing of concrete in dewatered ‘Caissons or Coffer’ dams?
- Placing in bags
- Tremie method
- Prepacked concrete
- In-the-dry practice
3. Courbon’s method of design of bridge is applicable when the ratio of span width is between ______ and ______.
- 1, 4
- 2, 4
- 3, 4
- 5, 4
4. Which of the systems are particularly suited for construction of pre-stressed concrete superstructure of long span bridges without the use of staging from below?
5. Which one of the following bearings are forgiving in that they can tolerate loads and movements exceeding the design values?
- Slide plate
- Steel roller
6. Neoprene is suitable for use in
- bearings of bridges
- hard duty rubber coatings of floors
- joinery works
- floors of dance halls
7. The highway bridges shall not be considered to be carrying any live load when the wind velocity at deck level exceeds
- 50 km/hr
- 70 km/hr
- 100 km/hr
- 130 km/hr
8. Which movements of the bridge deck will be permitted by an elastomeric bearing?
- No movement is permitted
- Translation only
- Rotation only
- Both translation and rotation
9. Coffer Dams are
- Permanent structures meant for storage of water
- Structures built across drains to act as check dams
- Temporary structures build to reserve water in side to cure foundation concrete
- Temporary structures build to reserve water outside to facilitate construction of foundation
10. The type of Caissons preferred in sites where high upward seepage exists, is
- Pneumatic Caissons
- Open Caissons
- Box Caissons
- Open caissons and Box caissons
11. Howrah bridge (Rabindra Setu) is a
- cantilever-suspension bridge
- cable-stayed bridge
- suspension bridge
- continuous bridge
12. In alluvial streams the well foundation for bridge piers shall have a grip length
13. For all parts of bridge floors accessible only to pedestrians and for all footway, loading should be
- 300 kg/m2
- 200 kg/m2
- 500 kg/m2
- 400 kg/m2
14. The centrifugal force is assumed to act at a height of _________ above the level of the carriageway of the bridge.
- 1 m
- 1.2 m
- 1.5 m
- 1.75 m
15. The strength of a bridge is termed as MBG loading of 1987. MBG refers to
- Model Broad Gauge
- Modified Broad Gauge
- Modified Budget Grant
- Main Broad Gauge
16. In case of navigable rivers, the minimum free board provided is usually
- 20 cm to 45 cm
- 1.2 m to 1.5 m
- 2.4 m to 3.0 m
- 1.0 m
17. The scour velocity of the stream is the
- average velocity
- maximum velocity at any time during the year
- velocity which can move the particles of bed materials
- velocity at which a highway bridge is liable to be damaged
18. The centre-to-centre distance between any two adjacent supports is called the ________ of a bridge.
- clear span
- effective span
- nominal span
19. According to the criteria recommended by IRC for Girder Bridges, the limiting load should not cause a deflection more than __________ of the span.
20. What should be the minimum width of footpath while designing a bridge for rural areas?
- 1.5 m
- 2.0 m
- 1.75 m
- 3.0 m