1. Belt drive is
- a positive drive
- not a positive drive
- used for small torque transmission
- none of these
2. The included angle of a pulley for a V-Belt is in the range of
3. The centrifugal tension in the belts
- increases power transmitted
- decreases power transmitted
- have no effect of power transmitted
- increase power transmitted upto a certain speed and then decreases
4. In a V-belt, B section may be used when the load to be transmitted is
- 3-20 HP
- 30-60 HP
- 60-70 HP
- 75-90 HP
5. In open belt drive system, the rotation of both the pulleys is in the
- wrapped in pulley
- same direction
- inclined position
- opposite direction
6. Which of the following is true about belt in V-belt drive?
- It touches at bottom.
- It touches at sides only.
- It could touch anywhere.
- It touches both at bottom and sides.
7. Which of the following is true about timing belt?
- Timing belts are used to determine the life time of a belt
- In timing belt, slip is in proportion to the time of operation
- Timing belts have no slip
- Timing belts have maximum slip during starting
8. Stretching in a belt controlled by
- decreasing the belt length
- increasing the centre distance
- increasing pulley diameter
- reducing the stress in the belt
9. In a belt drive system, when the speed of belt increases
- Coefficient of friction between the belt and pulley increases
- Coefficient of friction between the belt and pulley decreases
- Power transmitted will decrease
- Power transmitted will increase
10. A shaft is driven with the help of a belt, which is passing over the engine and shaft The engine is running at 200 rpm. The diameters of engine pulley is 51 cm and that of shaft is 30 cm. The speed of the shaft will be
- 200 rpm
- 300 rpm
- 340 rpm
- 400 rpm
11. In a mutiple V belt drive, when a single belt is damaged, it is preferable to change the complete set to
- reduce vibration
- reduce slip
- ensure uniform loading
- ensure proper alignment
12. When two unequal pulleys of different materials are connected by an open belt drive system, the ratio of tensions depends upon
- Angle of contact on the bigger pulley
- Angle of contact on the smaller pulley
- Average of the angle of contact on two pulleys
- Product of angle of contact and coefficient of friction on two pulleys
13. The creep in a belt drive is due to
- material of the pulleys
- material of the belt
- unequal size of pulleys
- unequal tensions and slackness of the belt
14. An engine running at 150 r.p.m. drives a shaft with belt arrangenment. If diameter of engine pulley is 55 cm and shaft pulley 33 cm, find the speed of shaft.
- 150 r.p.m.
- 100 r.p.m.
- 250 rp.m.
- 300 r.p.m.
15. In V-belt drive, belt touches
- at bottom
- at sides only
- both at bottom and sides
- could touch anywhere
16. The crown height of a flat belt pulley mainly depends on
- Sliding speed of the pulley
- Power to be transmitted
- Material of the pulley
- Diameter of the pulley
17. In best transmission system initial tension in the belt when stationary is
- T1 + T2
- T1 + T2/2
18. The purpose of idler pulley is
- to maintain belt tension
- for starting motion of pulley
- for stopping motion frequently
- for changing motion to 90°
19. The horse power transmitted by a belt is dependent upon
- tension on tight side of belt
- tension on slack side of belt
- radius of pulley
- speed of pulley
- only i and ii
- only ii and iii
- only iv
- i, ii, iii and iv
20. Which of the following are correct for V-belts?
- Used for small distance between the pulleys.
- It is a positive drive.
- Have low velocity ratio.
- Can be used for speed above 50 m/s.
Select the correct option.
- i and ii only
- i, ii and iii only
- i and iii only
- i, iii and iv only