1. Flame cutting of stainless steel plates is performed by
- using more fuel gas
- increasing the length of flame
- addition of iron powder
- addition of stainless steel powder
2. In orthogonal cutting
- cutting edge in inclined to axis of job
- cutting edge is perpendicular to axis of the
- cutting edge is perpendicular to line of its motion
- cutting edge is parallel to line of its motion
3. Orthogonal cutting system is also called
- one-dimensional cutting system
- two-dimensional cutting system
- three-dimensional cutting system
- none of these
4. In an orthogonal cutting process, the cutting force and thrust force observed are 1200 N and 600 N respectively. If the rake angle of tool is zero, then what will be the coefficient of friction in chip tool interface?
5. In an orthogonal cutting experiment, with a tool of rake angel γ = 75° and shear angle φ = 22.8°, then friction angle β will be
- None of the above
6. In milling machine, the cutting tọol is held in position by
- Tool holder
7. For cutting of brass with single point cutting tool on a lathe, tool should have
- Negative rake angle
- Positive rake angle
- Zero rake angle
- Zero side relief angle
8. Which of the following material is NOT used for cutting tools?
- Cast iron
- High Carbon steel
- Tungsten carbide
- High-speed steel
9. Power consumption in metal cutting is mainly due to
- Tangential component of the force
- Longitudinal component of the force
- Normal component of the force
- Friction at the metal tool interface
10. Which 0ne of the following is the hardest cutting tool next only to diamond?
- Cemented carbide
- Cubic boron nitride
11. For a specific cutting energy, if “F” is power required for cutting, “Z” is the metal removal rate, then which of the following expressions can be used to calculate the energy per unit volume “U”?
- U = F/Z
- U = FZ
- U = Z/F
- Cannot be determined, more data required
12. For cutting tool materials, which is the correct order of increasing hot hardness:
- High-speed steel, Carbide, Diamond
- Carbide, High-speed steel, Diamond
- Carbide, Diamond High-speed steel
- Diamond, Carbide, High-speed steel
13. A cylindrical workpiece of diameter 20 mm and rotating at 300 rpm will have a cutting speed of
- 4π m/min
- 6π m/min
- 8π m/min
- 10π m/min
14. Which of the following is performed with a cutting tool moving at a cutting speed “V” in the direction of primary motion?
- Non-traditional machining process, utilizing electrical, chemical, and optimal sources of energy
15. __________ is the dimensional and positional relationship between the work-piece and the cutting tool.
16. During metal cutting process, temperature at job tool contact point is measured by
17. Friction at the tool-chip interface can be reduced by
- decreasing the rake angle
- increasing the depth of cut
- decreasing the cutting speed
- increasing the cutting speed
18. Consider the following statements regarding cutting tools and identify the one which is not true.
- Nose radius in cutting tool reduces tool life and surface finish.
- Shank is that portion of the tool which does not ground to form cutting edges.
- Positive back rake angle of a single point tool is the slope downward the shank.
- Higher depth of cut increases rate of metal removal
19. Which one of the following cutting tool bits are made by powder metallurgy processes?
- Carbon Steel tool bits
- Stellite tool bits
- Tungsten carbide tool bits
- HSS tool bits
20. Crater wear takes place in a single point cutting tool at the
- side rake