- It is an operation of an amplifier intended to make a signal stronger by increasing the power of a signal.
- The amplifier output matches the input signal shape but with a larger amplitude.
- It may be Linear or nonlinear.
- It is a technique for compressing and then expanding (or decomposing) an analog or digital signal.
- It is nonlinear overall but linear over short periods of time.
- data is compressed before being transmitted and then it is expanded at the receiving end.
- The electronic circuit responsible for companding is called the compander.