16. Which feature, while selecting a motor for centrifugal pump, will be of least significance?
(a) Starting characteristics
(b) Operating speed
(c) Horse power
(d) Speed control
17. ………….. motor is a constant speed motor.
(a) Synchronous motor
(b) Schrage motor
(c) Induction motor
(d) Universal motor
18. The starting torque in case of centrifugal pumps is generally
(a) less than running torque
(b) same as running torque
(c) slightly more than running torque
(d) double the running torque
19. Which of the following motors are best for the rolling mills?
(a) Single phase motors
(b) Squirrel cage induction motors
(c) Slip ring induction motors
(d) D.C. motors
20. ……………… is not a part of ball bearing?
(a) Inner race
(b) Outer race
21. The starting torque of a D.C. motor is independent of which of the following?
(b) Armature current
(c) Flux and armature current
22. A rotor of a motor is usually supported on bearings.
(a) ball or roller
23. For which of the following applications D.C. motors are still preferred?
(a) High-efficiency operation
(c) Variable speed drive
(d) High starting torque
24. In a paper mill where constant speed is required
(a) synchronous motors are preferred
(b) A.C. motors are preferred
(c) individual drive is preferred
(d) group drive is preferred
25. A reluctance motor
(a) is provided with slip rings
(b) requires starting gear
(c) has high cost
(d) is compact
26. The size of an excavator is usually expressed in terms of
(a) ‘crowd’ motion
(b) angle of swing
(c) cubic metres
(d) travel in metres
27. For blowers which of the following motor is preferred?
(a) D.C. series motor
(b) D.C. shunt motor
(c) Squirrel cage induction motor
(d) Wound rotor induction motor
28. Belted slip ring induction motor is almost invariably used for
(a) water pumps
(b) jaw crushers
(c) centrifugal blowers
(d) none of the above
29. Which of the following is essentially needed while selecting a motor?
(c) Foundation pedal
30. Reluctance motor is a …………………
(a) variable torque motor
(b) low torque variable speed motor
(c) self-starting type synchronous motor
(d) low noise, slow speed motor