In spite of the wide use of AC supply, DC machines have some advantages compared to ac motors and are used in industries for some applications. Some of the DC Motor Applications in Industries are listed below.
Applications of DC Series Motor
- DC series motors are widely used for electrical traction applications, i.e, these motors are widely used in electric locomotives, rapid transit systems, and trolley cars.
- DC series motors are employed in cranes, hoists and in conveyers because of high staring torque capability.
Applications of DC Shunt motor
- DC shunt motors are employed in rolling mills because of good speed control characteristics.
- They are employed for driving constant speed lathes.
- Also employed for driving centrifugal pumps, fans, blowers, machine tools and reciprocating pumps.
Application of Cumulative Compound motors
They are employed in applications such as:
- Elevators, conveyers, heavy planers, for shears and punches, for intermittent high torque loads and air compressors.