In this article, we will compare different energy storage system in terms of their advantages & limitations. The comparison is given in the table.
|S.No.||Energy Storage System||Advantages||Limitations|
|1||Li-ion battery||1. It has a high specific energy
2. Light Weight
3. High Cycle life
2. Need Battery Management System
3. No establishes system for recycling
|2||Flywheel||1. Longer lives than battery
2. No degradation of power
4. No daily cycling limitations
5. Full power over full SOC range
|1. A danger of explosive shattering of the massive wheel due to overload, thus safety concerns.|
|3||Fuel Cell||1. Water is the only discharge||1.CO2 discharged with methanol reform
2. Technology currently expensive
3. Pure hydrogen is difficult to handle
|4||Ultracapacitor||1.Comparatively quick response time.
2. specific power of 1000–2000 W/kg with 95% energy efficiency.
3. longest lifetime of almost 40 years
|1. High self-discharge
2. High cost
3. Low energy density