Biofuels are liquid fuels that have been derived from agricultural crops including conventional food plants and special energy crops. It may also be derived from forestry, agricultural or fishery products or municipal wastes, as well as from agro-industry, food industry and food service by-products and wastes. Biofuels provide a strategic advantage to promote sustainable development and to supplement conventional energy sources to meet the rapidly increasing demand for transportation fuels associated with high economic growth as well as in meeting the energy needs of India’s vast rural population.
Table of Contents
List of Biofuel crops:
Codes used for biodiesel which is mixed in conventional diesel:
According to Biodiesel Policy of India, ratio of Biodiesel in conventional diesel can range between 2 to 20%.
(i) 2% Biodiesel + 98% Diesel = “B2”
(ii) 5% Biodiesel + 95% Diesel = “B5”
(iii) 20% Biodiesel + 80% Diesel = “B20”
(iv) 100% Biodiesel + 0% Diesel = “B100”
National Policy on Biofuel, 2009
The policy endeavours to facilitate and bring optimal development and utilisation of indigenous biomass feedstocks for production of biofuels.
Salient features of Policy:
- Bio-diesel production will be taken up from non-edible oilseeds in waste/degraded/marginal lands.
- An indicative target of blending of 205 bio-fuels, both for bio-diesel and bio-ethanol by 2017 has been proposed.
- Minimum support price for non-edible oilseeds would be announced with periodic revision to support failing price.
- Minimum Purchase Price (MPP) for purchase of bio-ethanol and biodiesel could be announced with periodic revision.
- Major thrust will be given to research, development and demonstration with focus on plantations, processing and production of bio-fuels, Including second generation biofuels.
- Financial incentives, including subsidies and grants, may be considered for second generation biofuels. If it becomes necessary, a national bio-fuel fund could be considered.
- A National Biofuel Coordination Committee headed by the Prime Minister, will be set up to provide policy guidance and coordination.
- A Biofuel Steering Committee chaired by Cabinet Secretary, will be set up to oversee implementation of the policy.